JAMES M. ANDREWS, dealer in stoves and tinware, Louisville, was born in Randolph County, Ohio, September 8,1836. His parents died and left him an orphan when very small, and he was thrown upon the mercies of a cold world, and was knocked around from pillar to post. He molded and burned brick for several years, having burned the brick of which the Louisville Schoolhouse is built. He came to Knox County, Ind., in 1856, and to Clay County in 1875, and engaged in the same business he is now following, but sold out in 1877, and farmed four years. Then, 1881, he resumed the business of tinner and dealer in stoves. He was married, December 21, 1857, to Sarah Holt, by whom he had eight children; five of these are living-Noble, James, William, David and Minnie. Mrs. Andrews died in 1882, and he married Mrs. Nancy Lewis in 1883. Mr. Andrews owns the right for Clay County to manufacture and sell the Triumph Washer. It is a novelty, and is pronounced the best washer that has ever yet been offered to the public. It was patented in 1882. Mr. Andrews is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Mrs. Andrews is a Methodist.
Transcribed by Laurel White from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, page 145.