JOHN ERWIN, hardware merchant and dealer in farm machinery, Louisville, was born in Hoosier Township, Clay County, November 7, 1841, and is a son of Crawford Erwin, of Hoosier Township. Mr. Erwin spent all his life, up to 1876, on the farm. He received his education in the common schools and at McKendree College, Illinois. He served in the late war in Company D, Eleventh Missouri Volunteer Infantry; enlisted June 15, 1861, and was discharged in October, 1862, on account of disability, but after recruiting in health he again enlisted in 1864; this time in Company B, Forty eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the battles of Fredericktown, Mo., New Madrid, Island No. 10, Point Pleasant, Fort Pillow, Fannington and Corinth during his first term of enlistment, and Snake Creek Gap, Resaca, New Hope Church, Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, Marietta, Jonesboro, East Point, Atlanta. Fort McAllister, Pocataligo, Duck Creek, Columbia, Camden and others during his last term. At Fort McAllister, Mr. Erwin was blown up some distance by an exploding torpedo, but not seriously injured. At the battle of Duck Creek, on the 4th day of February, 1865, his regiment charged the rebels through a swamp of mud and water waist deep. In 1876, Mr. Erwin moved to Louisville and engaged in his present business in January following, at which he has been very successful, keeping a full line of heavy and shelf hardware, farm implements, stoves, tinware, blacksmith coal, lime, hair, saddles, harness, chain and wood pumps, and is also agent for the Buckeye Reaper. He was married in 1867 to Amelia A., daughter of Henry Conley, deceased. They have had six children, viz.: Lewella. Yernon, Troy (deceased), Keturah, Mabel and an infant son. Mr. Erwin is a member of the Grand Army of the Bepnblic, the Masonic fraternity and of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by Laurel White from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, page 149.