A member of one of the honored pioneer families of Clay county, the name Rose has long been closely associated with the history of this section of the state, and the subject of this review, like his father, is numbered among the worthy citizens of this locality. In business he has always been known to be straightforward and reliable, is patriotic in citizenship, and his social relations ever wholesome. He is esteemed for these commendable traits of character together with his cordial disposition and genuine worth, but his name stands out more prominently in connection with the bench and bar of Southern Illinois, where he has long been a prominent figure.
Albert M. Rose, Judge of the Fourth Judicial Circuit, was born in Bible Grove township, Clay county, September 26, 1862, the son of Drury Rose, a native of Grayson county, Kentucky, who came to Illinois in 1856, settling first in Edwards county, then in a short time removed to Clay county. By trade a carpenter, but he always took an interest in local public affairs and very ably served his community as Justice of the Peace for a period of sixteen years. He moved from Bible Grove township to Clay City in 1891, where he lived until his death in 1897, closing a busy and useful career, mourned by a host of people to whom he was known as a kindly and honorable man. The paternal grandfather of the subject was also a native of Kentucky, who came to Illinois when a young man, settling in Clay county among the pioneer element, where he played well his part in the early struggles of the locality and established a good home amid primitive conditions. The mother of Judge Rose was known in her maidenhood as Caroline Ackison, whose people were from Pennsylvania. She was born in Illinois, spent her life here and passed to her rest in 1905, remembered by a wide circle of friends as a woman of many beautiful attributes of character. To Mr. and Mrs. Drury Rose the following children were born: Mary Jane, wife of Henry Crum, of Bible Grove township; Albert M., the subject of this sketch; Rosa, wife of George Stang, of Watertown, Illinois; Ophelia, wife of Frederick Lyons, of Watertown, Illinois; Stephen H., also living in Watertown, where resides the next child, Addie, the wife of William Ausbrook; Lavina, Althea, wife of Godfrey Peterson. The ninth and tenth children are deceased. Thomas B. died in the Philippine Islands, while a soldier in the regular United States army in 1904. George died in infancy.
Judge Rose spent his boyhood days on the farm, where he remained until twenty-one years of age, assisting with the work about the place and storing up the qualities of a sturdy manhood, successfully managing the farm while his father, who was a carpenter, as already intimated, worked at his trade. Not satisfied with a common schooling and actuated by a desire to follow the legal profession, Albert M. Rose entered Vincennes University from which institution he graduated in 1888, having made very creditable grades and established an excellent record for scholarship. After leaving college Mr. Rose turned his attention to teaching which he followed with much success until 1891, winning the hearty approbation of both pupils and patrons, studying law in the meantime, first under Barnes & Ramsey, attorneys of Louisville, in 1888, making rapid progress. He was admitted to the bar in August 1890, at Mount Vernon, and began practice in the spring of 1891 in Louisville, where he has been practicing continuously ever since, his success having gradually increased until he now has a liberal patronage and has become one of the leading attorneys in the southern part of the state.
The local leaders of the Democratic party early noted his talents and general favor with the public and sought him for office, first serving as Trustee of Louisville for a period of six years, during which time he assisted in securing the installation of electric lights and water works, also secured sidewalks and in many ways rendered lasting good to the town. In November 1906, Mr. Rose was elected to fill a vacancy in the Fourth Judicial circuit, the term expiring in June, 1909. He has so ably and faithfully performed the duties of this responsible position, that he is regarded by all concerned as one of the best jurists in the district, his decisions showing a trained and acute legal mind and a desire to be fair and unbiased in all cases, weighing carefully in the judicial balance all details of whatever case he has in hand, feeling the weight of his responsibility and ever desiring to discharge his duties in a manner that meets the approval of his constituents.
The domestic life of Judge Rose began December 28, 1892, when he was united in marriage with Lulu Branson, of Wayne City, Illinois, the talented daughter of Dr. J. M. Branson, a well-known physician of that place. To this union one son, Robley Branson Rose, now a bright lad of fourteen years, has been born.
In his fraternal relations the judge is a member of the Masonic Brotherhood, also the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in politics he affiliates with the Democratic party, as intimated in a preceding paragraph. Mr. and Mrs. Rose are faithful members of the Christian church.
The law office of our subject is always a busy place where numerous clients and friends of the judge gather, and it is equipped with one of the most extensive law libraries to be found in this locality. When he first began practice, he formed partnership with John A. Barnes in 1891, the firm being known as Barnes & Rose, but the former left the firm in 1896, and the subject has had different partners since then. Yet in the prime of vigorous manhood and having accomplished so much that merits the praise of his fellow men and gained a firm standing in the affections of the people of this vicinity, the future to such a man as Judge Rose must necessarily be replete with honor and success.
Extracted 27 Apr 2017 by Norma Hass from 1909 Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay & Marion Counties, Illinois, pages 345-347.