ELIAS D. VICKREY, the genial liveryman (stables located just back of John Erwin's hardware store), Louisville, was born in Bible Grove Township, this county, June 17, 1847 His father, Nelson Vickrey (deceased), was an early settler of this county. Our subject spent his boyhood days on the farm, and attended the common schools and the Xenia schools in this county. He then traveled ten years in the marble business, when, in 1878, he was elected Sheriff of Clay County, and was re-elected in 1880, the only Sheriff that ever succeeded himself in that office in Clay County. He engaged in the livery business, in Louisville, in partnership with J. J. Phillips, in 1881, and bought the latter's interest in March, 1883, and is doing a good business. His honest and upright dealings are meeting with the hearty approval of the people, and he is securing a large patronage. Mr. Vickrey also sells buggies, wagons and farm machinery. He was married, in January, 1881, to Mrs. Kate Brown, widow of the late P. P. Brown, by whom she has one child- Cora Brown. Our subject is a Mason, being a member of the Louisville Blue Lodge, and of the Gorin Commandery, No. 14, at Olney.
Transcribed by Laurel White from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, page 157.