JOHN W. CULTER, druggist, Clay City, was born in Brown County, Ohio, January 19, 1841, and is a son of Irwin and Cordelia (Williams) Culter. Both parents were natives of Ohio. Subject was the third of five children, and of that number three are now living — Milton B., in Daviess County, Ind.; John W. (subject), and William H. (in Marion County, Ill.). The free schools of his native county furnished subject his means of education. At the age of seventeen, he commenced farming, and followed that until October, 1860, when he came West. The first year of his residence here he taught school in Wayne County, but afterward settling in Stanford Township; then taught school until 1875. He then came to Clay City and purchased a stock of drugs belonging to C. D. Pennybacker, and has since been engaged in that business. In the spring of 1881, he sold an interest in the store to Dr. Block, but in the fall of that year Mr. A. Doherty bought out Dr. Block's interest and the business has since been continued under the firm name of Culter & Doherty. Mr. Culter was married, September 14, 1865, to Miss Lizzie Hawkins, a daughter of Henry and Sarah (Shields) Hawkins. The father was born in Yorkshire, England, May 26, 1801, and came to Canada with his parents in 1827. The mother was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, August 15, 1803, and was of Scotch parentage; she came to Canada with her parents in 1825. They were married in Canada December 27, 1832, and emigrated to Illinois in 1846, and after a number of years came to this county, where the father died October 15, 1859, aged eighty years. The mother is still living with her son-in-law at an advanced age. Mrs. Culter was born in Canada March 27, 1843, and is the mother of four children — Henry E., born November 23, 1866; Edith M., born May 14, 1868; Mary C., born February 20, 1870; Mattie, born April 14, 1872. Mr. Culter has been a strong Republican all his life; he has held some offices of importance, among which are Collector and Assessor of Stanford Township, and Justice of the Peace of this township since 1880. Is a member of Clay City Lodge, No. 488, A. F. & A. M., and is connected with the Christian Church. In the time of the war, he was a member of the Union League, and served as Secretary of the Clay County organization.
Extracted 28 Dec 2017 by Norma Hass from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, pages 173-174.