CRAWFORD ERWIN, farmer. P. O. Louisville. The subject of this memoir is one of Hoosier Township's best and most prominent farmers. He is a native of Lawrence County, Ind., and was born, April 19, 1818. His father. William Erwin (deceased), was a native of North Carolina, and brought his family to Clay County in October, 1832, where he died August 4, 1837, and was the first person buried in the Erwin Cemetery. The land occupied by this cemetery was once selected by him for a building site, but he afterward changed his mind in regard to it, and upon his death his friends buried him there. Mr. Erwin was brought up among the deer and other wild animals, and hence early learned the use of fire-arms. He has killed many a deer and other wild game. At one time, upon returning home from taking his grandmother to his aunt's, he saw a herd of seven deer. He at once brought his gun to his shoulder (for they always carried guns then), and fired without getting off the horse. The ball passed entirely through the deer he had shot at, and entered another one just in the rear, killing both of them. This was a wonderful feat for a boy. In 1837, Mr. Erwin married Eliza A. Craig, daughter of Adam Craig (deceased), an early settler of this county. They had seven children, of whom but three are living, viz., John, Lafayette and Elizabeth A. Their eldest son, Capt. William Erwin, Captain of Company D, Eleventh Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry, during the war, was killed in front of Spanish Fort, Ala., while heroically leading his men on to victory. Mrs. Erwin died in February, 1855, and Mr. Erwin again married, July 3 of the same year; this time to Mrs. Rachel Milligan. By her he has had five children, two of whom are living — Augeline and Edward Everett. Mr. Erwin owns 347 acres of land and resides on Section 4. He is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church, and of the Masonic order. For ten years he held the office of Justice of the Peace, and also has held other offices of trust.
Extracted 26 Jan 2020 by Norma Hass from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, pages 185-186.