Clay County


A native of Clay City and a life long citizen is the subject in our sketch this week. You already know that it is William L. Holman. He was born in Clay City, May 8, 1879. "Bill" brought his school work to a close early in life as many of us did in those days, and entered the milling business with his father, Samuel Holman, at the age of 15. In the year 1907 his father retired from the mill and "Bill" assumed full charge until the flourishing mills in this section of Illinois began to discontinue grinding wheat. He then continued at the old stand conducting practically the same kind of business as before except the grinding of wheat. Later he branched out into the wholesale business adding many items to his line and in 1925 he erected a large building on Main street on the corner just north of the B. & O. depot in order to be able to take care of his growing business. The old mill site was then abandoned and is still standing with most of the old milling machinery therein.

Mr. Holman handles an extensive line of flour and other foods, poultry feed, stock feed and coal. His trade reaches out 100 miles from Clay City and orders are delivered by truck. "Bill's Best," a hard wheat flour of his own brand, has become a favorite throughout this vast radius of his trade territory.

Here is a good place to mention that "Billy" took a vacation in the year of 1898 and went over to Cuba and helped settle some trouble then existing between the United States and Spain, under the orders of army service.

"Billy" and his worthy companion, besides their comfortable home, enjoy that great pleasure of a married son with two little girls. The son, Harold, is all except a partner in name in his father's business.

"Bill" is one of the Clay City Booster Club and an earnest worker in the church. And don't think he is not for Clay City.

Extracted 12 Jun 2017 by Norma Hass from 1930 Pictures and Biographical Sketches of the Business Men of Clay City, Illinois.

Visit Our Neighbors
Fayette Effingham Jasper
Marion Richland
Search the Archives