DANIEL T. SHORT, proprietor of the Glen House, Sailor Springs, Hoosier Township, is a native of Middle Tennessee, and was born April 2, 1828. His father, Alexander Short (deceased), was born in Franklin County, Va., in the year 1800. Mr. Short was brought up on the farm, and received a liberal education. He graduated from the Arcadia College at Arcadia, Mo., with high honors in 1852; and in 1863 he graduated from the Great Western Business College at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. He engaged in the drug business in Nashville, Ill., in 1867, and followed it for six years. He then ran a hotel in the same town for three years. He then went to Ashley, Ill., and ran a hotel three years; then went to Fairfield, Ill., and ran a hotel there for the same period. In 1879, he came to Sailor Springs as a patient, and was so readily healed by the wonderful magnetic waters that he saw at once the necessity for a first-class hotel at this place. He at once entered into negotiations with the proprietors, who built another large hotel, and leased it (the Glen House) to him for ten years. He keeps a first-class house in every respect, and is doing a large business. He is a member of the Masonic order, having passed the seventh degree, which makes him a Knight of Honor. Mr. Short was married, January 22, 1857, to Maggie Garvin, daughter of William A. Garvin, of Topeka, Kan. They have four children — Allie E. (now Mrs. William M. Folger, an attorney of Vandalia, Ill.), John A., Maggie E. and Delia B. Mrs. Short is the proprietress of the East Lynn Hotel, at Sailor Springs, which is open only in summer.
Extracted 26 Jan 2020 by Norma Hass from 1884 History of Wayne and Clay Counties, Illinois, Part IV, pages 189-190.